Bell nestles snugly against the panorama of the Bunya Mountains, only three hours from Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast, and the New South Wales border.
Bell is located on the Bunya highway between Dalby and Kingaroy.
Bell Visitor Information Centre
The Bell Visitor Information Centre is located at the Bell Bunya Community Centre.
The Centre is wheelchair-friendly, air-conditioned, and has a spacious carpark with easy access for coaches and caravans.
Drop in, or contact us, to speak to our friendly local volunteers for more information on:
- Current information for travellers
- Local area and events information
- Maps and handouts
- Our Western Downs information services
Bell and District
Historic Bell …
Bell, named after Joshua Peter by his son Joshua Thomas Bell, was established as a railway terminus in 1906. The Bell district was originally part of the vast pastoral Jimbour Station that extended from the top of the Bunya Mountains to the Condamine River west of Dalby.
This thriving rural town is very proud of its heritage, with many places of historical significance to visit.
- Bell streets are named after workers from the original Jimbour Station such as Ensor, Dennis, Maxwell, Wallace, Cassidy, Crawshay, Cody and Challacombe Streets.
- Rare sandstone street drains hand pitched during the years of the Great Depression in the 1930s.
- Bell Catholic Church interior murals tells stories of the Bible,and the Biblical Gardens illustrate the fourteen Stations of the Cross.
- Bell Historic Railway station, shed parkland, housing a static display including restored railway section cars and a vintage rail carriage.
- Arthur Pope’s historic motor and machinery collection at Popey’s Shed.
- Original sandstone buildings
Stop for a break …
Enjoy a picnic at Ensor Park, free electric BBQs, public toilets, skate park and children’s playground, or lunch under the trees at Railway Heritage Parkland.
Relax with a freshly brewed coffee, savour a light meal or a quick takeaway from any of our culinary venues.
Spacious carpark area suitable for coaches and caravans.
Disability access toilets at the Bell Bunya Community Centre.
Stay overnight and wake to the symphony of bush bird song.
Or, simply breathe the fresh country air and tranquil surroundings in the shade of our Bell Bottle Trees.
Enjoy the peace, beauty and tranquility of subtropical rainforest where the mighty Bunya Pine (Bunya Bunya Araucaria Bidwillii) reigns supreme. Bunya Mountains National Park and Russell Park contain the world’s last significant stands of ancient Bunya Pine and Hoop Pine (Araucaria cunninghamii).
Heritage listed Jimbour House is the centrepiece of the original vast Jimbour Station. The magnificent sandstone mansion is surrounded by an extensive heritage garden encompassing the Jimbour Amphitheatre. The ever-popular biennial Opera@Jimbour attracts thousands of music lovers.
The Dingo Barrier Fence is one of the longest man-made structures in the world, stretching 5614 kms. The fence is maintained by different state and council authorities, winding through the states of Queensland, New South Wales, and South Australia.
Birding trails are scattered throughout our diverse range of ecosystems.
What’s On in Bell …
Why not arrange you holiday plans to co-ordinate with our regular community events?
|January||Australia Day||Bell Memorial Public Hall|
|January||Bell Country Races||Bell|
|February||Bell Annual Art Exhibition||Bell Memorial Public Hall|
|March||Bell Show, Rodeo & Campdraft, Show Ball||Bell Showgrounds|
|April||ANZAC Day commemorations||Bell War Memorial|
|May 20, 2017||Memorial Public Hall: Golden Jubilee celebrations||Bell Memorial Public Hall|
|August||Bunya Trail Bike Ride|
|September 1-2, 2017||Bell Theatre Restaurant||Bell Memorial Public Hall|
|October||Bell Art Group annual calendar launch||Bluebelles Art Gallery|
|3rd Sunday||Pips N’ Cherries seasonal markets||Pips N’ Cherries|
Local Businesses …
- Bellview Hotel – comfortable, affordable rooms and counter meals
- Bell Tourist Park – cabins and powered sites
- Centre Coffee Shop (in the Community Centre) – Espresso Coffee, Light Meals & Catering. Group catering welcome. EFTPOS available.
- Bell Store – Post Office, groceries and hardware, newsagency, fuel, gas refills, takeaway food, EFTPOS facility and gift lines.
- Bell Motors – motor vehicle repairs
- Bell Veterinary Services
- Forbes Realty
- Gordon’s Meats – top quality meats
- Pips N’ Cherries – cafe and catering
- The Timber Workshop – cabinet maker
- Bell Bunya Community Centre –
- Visitor Information Centre
- Bluebelles Art Gallery
- Coffee Shop – light meals and catering
- Public Library – Self-check loans and Free Wi-Fi
- Art studio function room
- Homemade gift lines and skin care range
- Health and Therapeutic Care rooms
- Disability access toilets
- Spacious landscaped surrounds
- Coach and caravan parking
- Bell Historic Railway Station
- Popey’s Shed
- Bell Memorial Public Hall
- Bell RSL Hall
- Bell Racecourse Recreation and Showgrounds Reserve
- Bell and District Memorial Bowls Club
- Bell State School – Swimming pool and Tennis courts
- Bell Golf Club